Beneath the Mask
By: Eve Estelle
Can there be anything but virtue
In a word such as Selfless?
Can there be anything but dignity
In an act such as Sacrifice?
Cura te ipsum.
Can there be anything but justice
In a quality such as Kindness?
Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur.
Fear not the pain of your mistakes,
For I will bear it for you -
Fear not the price upon your bill,
For I will pay your way.
But once we are both destitute,
What then will you have to say?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
By my charity, let none feel shame;
Blind eye be turned, for this is right.
Let no spirit be crushed,
No ego be humbled,
And let those who dissent
Be chastised and hushed.
Ubi non accusator ibi non iudex.
We are winners all, no one's to blame -
Worry not, you're perfect, too;
By Truth's arrow let none be struck,
Now watch progress be stifled,
And pride run amok.
Veritas vitæ magistra.
What's in a name?
The lexicon is burning
With the flames of cowardice -
Be strong, be sensible, be wise,
For this is itself an injustice.
Lupus non timet canem latrantem.
Entitlement runs rampant
When we become victims;
Let us not all walk on eggshells -
Kindness has its place;
But life will not be kind,
And its challenges you must face.
Per aspera ad astra.
1. "Take care of yourself" (From medice, cura te ipsum; "Physician, heal thyself")
2. "Even a god finds it hard to love and be wise at the same time"
3. "A crow will not pull out the eye of another crow / A raven does not pluck out the eyes of another raven"
4. "Where there is no accuser, there is no judge / Where there are no police, there is no speed limit (alternative translation)"
5. "Truth is life's teacher"
6. "The wolf is not afraid of a barking dog"
7. "To the stars through difficulties"