Update (10/20/21): Focusing on other life priorities at the moment! Miss it here dearly. Contact me if you need anything! :) Thank you!

8.22.2017

Poem: "Alias"


Alias
By: Eve Estelle

Who are you?

I have given you my name.
Was that not enough?

You have given me a name,
But you have not given me yours.

And what is it, my inquisitor,
That leads you to this illation?

A hollow signature. You're a ghost.
But even ghosts leave trails behind.

A ghost, wand'ring
Behind the veil,
Clandestine and mum --
A whisper among screams,
A falsehood undetected;
Walking among the ordinaries,
The wishers, the peculiars --
Heard, but not seen,
Felt, but not touched;
And gone before the sunrise.

We'll know you soon enough.

My shell and shield --
This mask I wear,
When the waters run red
And treacherous;
To blend, to mix,
To mingle among
A world at war,
And in heedless bliss...

Who are you?

...But with each lie
And willed omission,
Another weight falls upon me,
Another mark to bear.

Bestrewn among
A thousand strands
Of this tangled, woven web,
Truths trickle down as dew;
Allowed to seep through,
To lead you astray,
To lead you away,
Or perhaps to lead me
Home.


Author's note: So, alright, this has got to be one of the messiest poems I've written in a long time (debatable). It needs a ton of work, as I really didn't know what direction I wanted to take it in.

I've been lacking in the creative department for the last few weeks, and felt like playing around with something like this after finishing up my final episode of Person of Interest (thank youuu, Emily McConnell, for introducing me to this show a while ago! Love it!). There'll likely be others along these lines, and I will (eventually) be revisiting this one, too.

If there's anything here that feels like a weak point to you, I'd love to hear it! Besides not having a clear theme or message or purpose, where'd I go wrong? Your input would be an invaluable help. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow I love this. You've created such a stunning, twisted atmosphere.
    Great poem :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome to hear you like it, Amy! It felt like such a disastrous mess to me after I finished writing lol. Has grown on me a little, but I still think there's so much more that could be done with it.

      Thank you!! :)

      Delete

Your comments make my day, and I appreciate every single of them. Let me know what's on your mind, and don't hesitate if you have any questions or suggestions. I'll do my best to get back to you!

Make sure to tick the little "Notify me" box if you would like to be notified when there are any replies or further comments.

*Blogger is currently having issues with email notifications related to comments. Please excuse any response delays, and check back frequently!